Shocking footage of ESG funds’ darling holding Amazon, destroying perfectly good stock emerged last month. Amazon is a popular holding in many sustainable portfolios and practices like this create awkward questions for the so called “sustainable investors” with shares in the company. For this month’s commentary, WHEB questions whether Amazon can really be considered a sustainable investment.
In other news, we are delighted to have won Environmental Finance’s “Best sustainability reporting by an asset or fund manager, medium and small” award. The awards honour investors and other players in the market who have been leaders in the field of sustainable finance.
We were proud to be one of the first three Future-Fit Pioneers to release Statements of Progress, sharing our journey of becoming environmentally restorative, socially just and economically inclusive in everything that we do.
In addition, WHEB Asset Management is thrilled to have been named in B Corporation’s “Best For The World” list 2021, having been recognised in the top 5% of all B Corps in our size group worldwide for our sustainable business practices, based on an independent, comprehensive assessment administered by the non-profit B Lab.
Over the past few months, we have nearly doubled the size of the WHEB team as we describe in this article.
We invite you to join us for our Impact Report and Quarterly Update webinar, Building Back Better, this Thursday 22 July at 4.30 PM AEST. Register HERE
||A.O. Smith||United States||Industrials|
||Agilent Technologies||United States||Health Care|
||Ansys||United States||Information Technology|
||Danaher||United States||Health Care|
||Intertek Group||United Kingdom||Industrials|
||TE Connectivity||United States||Information Technology|
||Thermo Fisher Scientific||United States||Health Care|
|1 MTH||1 YEAR||3 YEARS P.A.||5 YEARS P.A.||SINCE INCEPTION P.A.|
|WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund||4.2%||26.7%||13.0%|
|Strategy (partial simulation – see below)||14.1%||7.1%|
|MSCI World Total Return Index (net, AUD unhedged)||4.6%||27.5%||14.4%||14.6%||7.2%|
Swipe horizontally to see all columns
|VOLATILITY3||13.1%||NUMBER OF STOCKS||46|
Partner, Fund Manager
Partner, Head of Research
The Pengana WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund invests in companies with activities providing solutions to sustainability challenges. WHEB have identified critical environmental and social challenges facing the global population over coming decades including a growing and ageing population, increasing resource scarcity, urbanisation and globalisation. The Fund invests in companies providing solutions to these sustainability challenges via nine sustainable investment themes – five of these are environmental (cleaner energy, environmental services, resource efficiency, sustainable transport and water management) and four are social (education, health, safety and well-being). WHEB’s mission is ‘to advance sustainability and create prosperity through positive impact investments.’
|Harding Loevner International Fund||Axiom International Ethical Fund||Axiom International Ethical Fund (Hedged)||Australian Equities Fund|
|High Conviction Property Securities Fund||Global Small Companies Fund||WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund||Emerging Companies Fund|
|High Conviction Equities Fund||Pengana International Equities Limited (ASX: PIA)||Private Equity Trust (ASX: PE1)||Alpha Israel Fund|
1. From August 2017, performance figures are those of the Pengana WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund’s class A units (net of fees and including reinvestment of distributions). The strategy’s AUD performance between January 2006 and July 2017 has been simulated by Pengana from the monthly net GBP returns of the Henderson Industries of the Future Fund (from 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2011) and the FP WHEB Sustainability Fund (from 30 April 2012 to 31 July 2017). This was done by: 1) converting the GBP denominated net returns to AUD using FactSet’s month-end FX rates (London 4PM); 2) adding back the relevant fund’s monthly ongoing charge figure; then 3) deducting the Pengana WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund’s management fee of 1.35% p.a. The WHEB Listed Equity strategy did not operate between 1 January 2012 and 29 April 2012 – during this period returns are zeroed. The Henderson Industries of the Future Fund’s and the FP WHEB Sustainability Fund’s GBP net track record data is historical. No allowance has been made for buy/sell spreads. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. The value of the investment can go up or down.
2. The Fund incepted on 31 October 2007 as the Hunter Hall Global Deep Green Trust. The Fund was relaunched on 1 August 2017 as the Pengana WHEB Sustainable Impact Fund employing the WHEB Listed Equity strategy. This strategy was first employed on 1 January 2006 by the Henderson Industries of the Future Fund and currently by the FP WHEB Sustainability Fund.
3. Annualised standard deviation since inception.
4. Relative to MSCI World Total Return Index (net, AUD unhedged)
* For further information regarding fees please see the PDS available on our website.